Today marks the first day of the 100 Day Project.
If you’ve been around a while, you may remember that I started a project for this movement last year.
AND… you may or may not remember how those went.
I’m nothing if not amazing at #startingalltheprojects .
For 2018 I will be doing:
100 Days of Grandma’s Recipes
Backstory – part 1: My grandma passed away in June 2015. I was given all of her recipes for a few reasons. When I was young, my grandma and I were very close and I would spend hours at her house baking all kinds of things. She taught me to bake and sew and craft and all those other home ec-type things. I accepted the boxes and books with the intention that I would go through them all and put together a comprehensive cook book for my mom and her 3 sisters (grandma’s daughters).
Struggle: As I’ve occasionally gotten into the tiny mountain of recipe cards and bookmarked cook books, unhappy memories rise to the surface. Beyond the understandable grief caused by her passing, there is also many other feelings that I thought I had dealt with or at least pushed aside.
Backstory – part 2: As I got older and entered my tween and teen years, our relationship changed. By the time I went to college, nothing was the same. Immense guilt was pushed on me and the only way I could truly focus on my school and own life was to remove some of the things that were not healthy.
Going Forward: So, here we are. I have this idea/plan of what I want to accomplish. I know there will be some things I need to work through along the way. I am hoping that with a defined goal and timeline I will have the strength to move through this project and complete it, where I have backed out and put it away in the past.
I hope you will join me as I find some of the best recipes from my childhood.
I’ve already shared a few with you: Grandmas’ Recipes
And here’s another to get myself started on #100daysofSKrecipes :
Oatmeal Caramel Bars
32 caramels, unwrapped
5 Tbsp. evaporated milk
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. quick oats
3/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c. butter, melted
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. nuts, chopped (walnuts, pecans, peanuts – your choice or omit)
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
2. Melt the unwrapped caramels in the evaporated milk over double boiler or low heat, stirring often. When combined, remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
3. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and butter. Divide mixture into 2.
4. Press half into bottom of 8 x 10 inch baking pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven. Sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped nuts evenly over baked oatmeal mixture.
7. Pour and spread melted caramel over chocolate chips and nuts.
8. Sprinkle with remaining oatmeal mixture.
9. Bake for another 15 – 20 minutes.
10. Cool completely.
11. Cut into bars and enjoy!
Have an AWESOME day!