Chicken, Shrimp, and Chorizo Paella
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 chicken thighs
2 links of chorizo sausage, sliced (I also use smoked sausage)
1 1/2 c. Arborio rice
3 1/4 c. Low-sodium Chicken broth
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 medium tomato, diced
1 Tbsp. flat-leafed parsley, chopped (plus more for garnish)
1/4 tsp. saffron threads, crumbled
1/4 c. frozen peas, thawed
fresh ground pepper
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika.
2. In a large paella pan, or large shallow skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
3. Saute chorizo until browned and edges curl. Remove for later use.
4. In same pan, add chicken and brown, skin-side down, until crispy, but not cooked through. Remove for later use.
5. Reduce pan heat to medium. Saute onion, garlic, and parsley until golden and softened.
6. Add rice. Stir for a moment to incorporate with aromatics.
7. Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
8. When boiling, add salt and pepper, to taste, and crumbled saffron.
9. Add shrimp and the reserved chicken and chorizo. Cover and let simmer, without stirring, until the liquid has mostly evaporated and rice has cooked – about 15 minutes.
10. Turn up heat and cook for about 5 more minutes to add a crust to the bottom of the dish.
11. Turn off heat.
12. Stir in peas and tomato.
13. Re-cover and let dish rest for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
14. Serve. Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley.