Once again, I would like to share with you a bar that tastes like a cookie. I LOVE oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Sometimes you don’t have the time or desire to deal with the hassle of individual cookies.
Mix up the oatmeal mixture. Melt the caramels during the first baking. Pour. Sprinkle. Bake a second time.
Oatmeal Caramel Bars
32 caramels, unwrapped
5 Tbsp. evaporated milk
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. quick oats
3/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c. butter, melted
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. nuts, chopped (walnuts, pecans, peanuts – your choice or omit)
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
2. Melt the unwrapped caramels in the evaporated milk over double boiler or low heat, stirring often. When combined, remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
3. Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and butter. Divide mixture into 2.
4. Press half into bottom of 8 x 10 inch baking pan.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from oven. Sprinkle chocolate chips and chopped nuts evenly over baked oatmeal mixture.
7. Pour and spread melted caramel over chocolate chips and nuts.
8. Sprinkle with remaining oatmeal mixture.
9. Bake for another 15 – 20 minutes.
10. Cool completely.
11. Cut into bars and enjoy!